Friday 27 June 2014

Tortured by Industry

The first car I collected was a BMW from nearby Tilston, a cobbled red-brick village decorated with greenery, history and affluence. This I drove to auction in Doncaster where I was then directed to Kirk Sandall, just a train station away.
            On the train, young men in oiled blue overalls and tatty beards told jokes in poor taste.
            I alighted into a neo-Dickensian scene of grubby metal bridges and buildings bleeding rust, tortured by industry; coarse umber grass just surviving beside razor wire, the exposed rail track, and broken pavements. Diesel-choked, oil-spattered stunted trees tried to grow there.

            Leaving in an Audi on that Monday afternoon, I wondered how many days would pass before I went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment